Independent Educational Evaluations

If you, as a parent of a child with a disability, do not agree with the results of the individualized evaluation of your child, as conducted by the school system, you have the right to obtain an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE). This means that you may ask that a professional, qualified evaluator who is not employed by the school system complete another evaluation of your child.

As dual licensed psychologists, Dr. Toplis and Dr. Makofske are uniquely qualified to provide Independent Educational Evaluations for families and school districts. They have extensive experience with the special education process, knowledge of educational law, academic challenges, social and emotional needs, and the numerous other areas that impact a student at school. When completing an Independent Educational Evaluation, Dr. Toplis and Dr. Makofske prioritize identifying a student’s needs with the goal of helping schools and families continue to work together for the success of the student.

 If you request an IEE of your child, the school must provide you with information about where you can obtain such an evaluation.

IDEA definition: Independent Educational Evaluation